The Cadet Centre of Adventurous Training (CCAT) has three main UK UK Cadet Training Centres:
- Capel Curig Training Camp in north Wales
- Halton Training Camp near Lancaster
- Feshiebridge Lodge in the Cairngorm National Park
The cadets also use overseas bases to deliver a range of training courses in Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Norway, and Spain. This article concentrates on the Capel Curig Training Camp and covers things to do near the camp and accommodation options.
The CCAT headquarters team located at Capel Curig has a wide experience and knowledge of delivering Adventurous Training courses. They provide a free Advisory service offering guidance on the planning and safe delivery of AT activities. This includes putting you in contact with registered CCAT instructors should you require qualified leaders/instructors to deliver unit AT activities.
The Capel Curig Training Camp Address is:
- Capel Curig Training Camp
- Capel Curig
- LL24 0DS
- United Kingdom
Capel Curig Training Camp is situated on the A5, London to Holyhead Road in the heart of the Snowdonia National park, North Wales and is approximately. 3.5 miles to the West of Betws Y Coed. The site is operated and managed by Landmarc Organisation.
Capel Curig Training Camp Accommodation consists of:
- 320 beds
- 1, 2, 4, 6 bedrooms and 14 bed dormitories (bedding not provided)
- Green field camp site
Capel Curig Training Camp Catering:
- All ranks centralised restaurant, 200 seats.
- All dietary needs are catered for.
- Packed and container meal are available.
Capel Curig Training Camp Equipment storage and maintenance facilities include:
- A range of onsite storage facilities
- Drying rooms
- Washing and drying machines
Capel Curig Training Camp Off Duty Faculties include:
- TV room
- Internet facility
- Volleyball court
- Basketball court
The café and a bar are only open to residents. There are plenty of places to eat, drink and stay in Capel Curig and its surrounding areas.
Capel Curig Training Camp has the following training facilities:
- Outdoor Climbing Wall (Equipment not provided).
- Outdoor Bouldering Area.
- Lecture Rooms complete with presentation systems.
CCAT equipment is only available for loan to candidates undertaking CCAT courses not visiting units.
CCAT only provide accommodation for candidate undertaking CCAT courses.
About Capel Curig
All self-respecting outdoor enthusiasts will have heard of Capel Curig. Mountains are its biggest attraction. The village stands in a fork in the road and if you:
- Go north-west you are into the glacial wildernesses of the Glyders and Carneddau, with the triangular peak of Tryfan looming above the waters of Llyn Ogwen.
- Go south-east and you are soon at the foot of Snowdon and the boulder-strewn Llanberis Pass
Water as well as rock makes a dramatic appearance as the village is almost on the shores of the twin lakes of Llynnau Mymbyr, framed by the classic ‘horseshoe’ view of Snowdon and its neighbouring peaks.
Accomodation Near Capel Curig Training Camp
If you are just taking your son or daughter to the Capel Curig Training Camp and are looking for things to do and for a place to stay you will not be disappointed.
Capel Curig is home to Plas-y-Brenin National Outdoor Centre, the UK’s leading outdoor pursuits centre with a wide range of outdoor activities. Activities include hill walking, rock climbing, mountaineering, scrambling, mountain biking, road cycling, white water kayaking, sea kayaking, canoeing and first aid with the highest standard of instruction, equipment, and facilities.
Plas-y-Brenin has comfortable en-suite bedrooms sleeping 80 people.
Add to that the highest standard of instruction, equipment, facilities, and catering.
Accommodation close to the Capel Curig Training Camp includes:
- Gwylanedd One and Two are sea front self-catering duplex apartments.
- Crafnant House modation is in Trefriw, a traditional Welsh village.
- The Dunoon Hotel is a family-owned, 66-bedroom, AA Four Star hotel.
- The Elm Tree Llandudno is a 4-star 14-bedroom boutique property.
UK Cadet Training Centres Training Kit
The Cadet Package is the perfect UK Cadet Starter Kit. Containing big name brands such as Kombat, Kiwi and Rite in Rain to ensure top quality and long-lasting durability. This pack is suitable for individuals joining the Air, Sea and Army Cadets and contains the following kit for joining the cadet forces:
- Kombat Patrol Boot – All Leather
- Kombat Cadet Patrol Socks (1 Pair)
- Kombat Metal Flask
- Kombat Camouflage Zip-Bag
- Kiwi Shoe/Boot Polish – 100ml
- Kiwi Shoe/Boot Polish – 50ml
- Boot Brush Set
- Supply Drop Ultra-Shine Polishing Cloth
- Rite in the Rain – A5 Waterproof Notepad
- Carabiner Clip
- Scrubbing Brush
- Trouser Ties (2 Pairs)
- Spare Boot Laces (2 Pairs)
- Pencils (2)
- Black Biro Pen